Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Bake

Saturday, November 3, 2012
I LOVE Mexican food but it took me a little while to get it figured out on a low carb diet. I don't eat beans and I don't eat rice and although you can get low-carb tortillas, I have avoided those.

Even with those restrictions I eventually got it figured out -- where there is a will there is a way, lol. I have found that individual serving sized casserole dishes are a lifesaver and are the perfect medium for building an enchilada -- these are something I  make OFTEN. Until recently, I had been using a commercially canned sauce but always felt a bit iffy about it. Although the carbs weren't too bad, it still contained modified corn starch. Then I got inspired to try and make my own. This recipe is the result -- I love the smoky heat that chipotle peppers add. If you don't like so much heat, scale back on both the chili powder and chipotles -- and if you really like it hot, add more but remember adding more means adding more carbs too.

Chipotle Enchilada Sauce

1 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp finely chopped shallot
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (about 1/3 of a 7oz can)
2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
1 tsp granular sweetener or equivalent liquid (used Truvia)
1/2 cup water

In a medium-sized saucepan, over medium-low heat, cook the shallot and garlic in oil until soft and slightly browned, about 8-10 minutes. Add spices  and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomato sauce, sweetener and water; bring to a simmer. Simmer covered for at least 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to blender cup and add chipotle peppers. Be sure to cover lid with a dish towel in case hot liquids splash. Pulse until well incorporated. Makes about 2-1/2 cups. May be frozen.


10 - 1/4 cup servings = 3.34 net carbs per serving


Now that you have sauce, enchilada bake is easy and quick to assemble -- I say quick because I have a secret. About once every couple weeks I make a stop into Sam's and pick up a rotisserie chicken -- best FAST food in town. Only $4.88 and I get several meals from it and I almost always use the last of it to make enchilada bake. 

Using individual serving casserole dishes, I layer in the cut up chicken and then the sauce. Top with cheese of choice and black olives or whatever else suits your fancy. 
Pop into a preheated 350°F oven and bake until heated thru and the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown (actual baking time will depend on whether you are putting into the oven frozen or not. 
Serve topped with sour cream, guacamole, shredded lettuce,..... 

You can also use this sauce to make beef (leftover roast, steak or ground beef) pork or seafood enchiladas. I try to always have some in the freezer for when the mood strikes for Mexican food OR I have hit up Sam's and I just can't face one more chicken salad.

Disclaimer: I use FatSecret.com to calculate carb counts based on the product brands used.